Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mad Mama Kind of Day...

To all of the parents out there:
Have you ever had a day where you feel like you are constantly nagging, correcting and yelling at your kids? We had one of those days on Tuesday. I hate those days! I feel like such a mean mama...

Tuesday was a jam-packed slightly stressful day. I woke up at 6 to shower and get all 3 kids dressed, fed and out the door by 8...or in this case, 8:15!!! We dropped Hannah off at school (late, of course) and then the boys and I ran to the grocery store. We left the store, stopped by the house just long enough to drop off groceries and put away cold stuff and then it was time to go to music class. We had music class (which William missed half of b/c he wanted to go with me to feed Tucker instead of staying in class) and then we left to go pick up Hannah. From the school we went home. Everyone stayed in the car while I went inside and made some sandwiches for lunch and then we ate a picnic on the way to the pediatrician's office. We got to the parking lot in time for me to feed Tucker and then it was inside for Hannah's 4 year appt and Tucker's 2 month appt....except Mom-of-the-Year neglected to add Tucker to the insurance policy so it turned out to just be Hannah's 4 year appt. 5 shots and 1 finger prick later Hannah is crying and our pediatrician is telling me that Tucker has torticollis. (She wanted to examine him even though he is currently not covered by insurance so he couldn't get his vaccines) Torticollis is basically when one side of their neck muscles are tighter than the other which causes them to either look left or right instead of a neutral position. Tucker tends to hold his head a little bit cockeyed. I noticed it but I thought he was just looking at something interesting. It is a mild case and should be able to be corrected with physical therapy.
Its not a huge deal but its one more thing we have to worry about and that many more appointments we have to schedule so it was a little stressful... Not to mention the fact that William is being fussy and trying to leave the doctor's office the whole time our Doctor is trying to talk to me...

After the appointment its now 4:00 and we have to go get ice cream for Hannah since she endured so many pinches and pokes.

Needless to say I was a little frazzeled by the end of this long busy day. On the way home (FINALLY) Hannah asks me to look at the picture she drew. She says, "Mommy, I drew us! You are Mad Mommy! You are yelling at us. William is crying because you are so mad at us."

Wow... What a way to make a bad day WORSE! Granted, they warranted some of the yelling. It was one of those days where nobody was listening and they were picking at each other constantly AND we were in a hurry ALL day! It made me feel horrible but it also made me lose some of the irritation and the impatience. I was reminded just how important these little people are and how my actions can make them feel. The picture... It's hysterical to me now but at the time it hit me like ton of bricks. I'm keeping it as a reminder to not lose my cool even when they are about to drive me crazy. :)

In case you can't tell, thats me in the middle with the disheveled hair and the yelling face. Hannah is to the right with the ronald mcdonald hair and
William is on the Left, crying, with no arms!
UPDATE: Tucker is now added to our insurance policy (So don't worry Mom...) :)

post signature

3 comments:

Amy said...

oh my gosh....this made me want to cry....and laugh :)
i don't know how you do it....i feel like a "mad mama" sometimes and i just have one! you are a superwoman! to me it seems like it's either a really "on" day where everything is going smoothly or it's a really "off" day where not one single thing goes as planned....and those are the days that i feel like little eyes are watching even more to see how i react :) thanks for the reminder from one mad mama to another :)

The Summers said...

Bless your heart, Abby! If it makes you feel any better, I am a 'mad mama' a lot...and I only have 2! I think that kind of day would make anybody like that, though! ;) Thanks for being honest...it helps to hear that other people are going through the same things!

Lisa M. said...

How quickly they forget the "Incredible Mama" that made the Princess Butterfly Boiled Peanut Party :-)
We all have those wish we could do-over days. You're wonderful!!